Summer time services in education and early childhood education
During the summer holidays, childcare and education services have been reduced in the City of Espoo. This news article will provide you with information on summer opening hours and advice on current practical matters.
Early childhood education in the summer
Early childhood education is less busy in the summer, as some of the children and employees are on holiday.
If your child participates in early childhood education in an on-call unit in the summer, you can contact the unit normally with the eVaka messaging function. Any extra holidays of the child can be reported through the eVaka calendar as usual.
Early childhood education service counselling is available on weekdays between 20 June and 29 July 2022 from 9–12.
Some residents' parks will be closed in July, but the residents' parks in Matinkylä, Tapiola, Suvela, Viherkallio and Soukka will be open from 4–29 July 2022. You can view the summer programme for each open playground in our calendar.
We are happy to receive feedback on early childhood education and activities at residents' parks! Click here to access the electronic feedback survey for on-call units of early childhood education and the feedback survey for residents' parks.
Summer-time activities of education
The autumn semester of schools and upper secondary schools starts on Thursday 11 August 2022. Since there is no teaching activity in the summer, the summer holidays of administrative staff have also been concentrated between 27 June and 31 July.
Basic education pupils moving to Espoo in the summer
For information on applying to school for pupils moving over the summer, visit the page When a pupil moves.
There will be no on-call services for special needs pupils moving to Espoo during July. As of 1 August, special support planners will be available by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your child does not have Finnish language skills and you want to apply for a school place or if you need help concerning mother tongue instruction, please contact Own mother tongue instruction by telephone +358 (0)40 6365 330 at 10–15 or by e-mail to email@example.com.
Please note that the registration for own mother tongue instruction has already ended. Late registrations will not be processed. Group change requests will be accepted until August.
Applying to basic education afternoon activities
Applications received after the application period for afternoon activities, but no later than on 31 July 2022, shall be processed so that the decision can be read from Wilma before the beginning of the school year. After this time, decisions will be made according to a separate schedule. More information on afternoon activities can be found on this page.
Looking for general upper secondary education?
The results of the joint application system were published on 16 June 2022. If you were admitted to a general upper secondary school, you must remember to accept your place on 30 June 2022, at the latest. For instructions on how to accept and apply for a school place, visit page After joint application.
If you do not yet have a study place where you can continue your compulsory education, apply for education.
- Apply to an educational institution via Study Info. You can even apply in the summer in the rolling admissions system.
- Contact Starttipiste at Ohjaamotalo, serving applicants Mon–Fri without appointment and electronically. Ohjaamotalo offers help and guidance with finding a place to study.
- For instructions on how to apply for a school place in upper secondary education, visit page After joint application.
Omnia's basic vocational qualifications and the TUVA preparatory qualification for upper secondary qualification can still be applied for via the rolling admissions process. Applications for basic vocational qualifications and TUVA starting in August may be submitted until 10 July 2022. The student selections will be announced by 1 August 2022.
- InfoOmnia provides information on various training courses and study and career counselling, tel. +358 (0)9 2319 8360, firstname.lastname@example.org. Personal customer service open Mon–Thu 9–15 and Fri 9–14 (closed on weekdays at 12–13).
If you need intensive support in your studies, you can apply for TUVA education in an educational institution that provides intensive special needs support, such as Live Vocational College.
Counselling and guidance for upper secondary education in the summer
- Starttipiste at Ohjaamotalo will help without an appointment, by appointment and electronically.
- Outreach Youth Work counsellors will advise on applying for study places and provide discussion help and support in the summer. Call or send a text message to +358 (0)43 824 3453 Mon–Fri at 9–16. You can also send email to email@example.com
- Growth and Learning
- Early Childhood Education
- Basic Education
- General Upper Secondary Education