Espoo’s swimming pools and indoor sports facilities closed until 10 January 2022; cultural and sports events cancelled until 17 January 2022
The coronavirus situation has deteriorated significantly in the Uusimaa region. The new restrictions issued by the Regional State Administrative Agency (AVI) of Southern Finland widely affect cultural and sports services in Espoo. In line with the decision issued by the Regional State Administrative Agency, all public events have been cancelled between 28 December 2021 and 17 January 2022 and many premises will be closed from 28 December 2021 to 10 January 2022.
Culture: events cancelled for three weeks, libraries and museums remain open
- All cultural events have been cancelled until 17 January. Cancelled events at the city’s cultural venues (Sello Hall, Cultural Centre, Kannusali, Children’s Cultural Centre Aurora, Exhibition Centre WeeGee and Vindängen) will be held at a later date, if possible. Each cultural venue will provide information on the cancelled and postponed events on their website, together with instructions on how to return pre-purchased tickets.
- Libraries and museums will remain open. However, arrangements are made on the premises to prevent the risk of infection caused by close contact between participants and groups. Museums require visitors to show their Covid passport. Libraries do not require a Covid passport.
Sports: swimming pools and indoor sports facilities closed for two weeks
- Swimming pools and other indoor sports facilities will be closed for two weeks starting from 28 December. The Covid passport cannot be used as an alternative to these restrictions.
- However, guided recreational activities for under 18-year-olds and the training of professional athletes may continue in these facilities. In addition, the facilities may be used for providing statutory services, such as medical rehabilitation.
Children’s and young people’s recreational activities may continue
- Facilities to which the closure decision applies may still be used for guided recreational activities for children and young people born in or after 2004.
- However, the health and safety of participants must be ensured.
- Providers of basic education in the arts and recreational activities in the fields of sports and culture will receive further instructions in week 52.