We invite our residents to cheer up the elderly with Christmas cards
The City of Espoo invites all residents to take part in a Christmas card campaign. The aim is to collect at least 4,000 cards, one for each of the city’s home care clients and nursing home residents.
Last year’s campaign yielded surprising results: Espoo’s Service Points collected an astounding 10,000 Christmas cards.
The City of Espoo’s effort is part of the Siskot ja Simot community’s national campaign Joulupostia ikäihmisille (Christmas post to the elderly) aiming to ensure that as many of the elderly as possible get a card this Christmas.
“We will distribute the cards to home care clients and nursing home residents before Christmas,” says Paula Häkämies, Communications Specialist at the City of Espoo.
Cards collected at Espoo’s Service Points
Christmas cards will be collected from 8 November until 7 December 2021 at all six City of Espoo Service Points that are located in Espoon keskus, Espoonlahti, Kalajärvi, Leppävaara, Matinkylä and Tapiola.
You can find the street and postal addresses and the opening hours of the Service Points on the city’s website.
You can take or send your cards by post to any of the Service Points.
Make a card or write your greetings on a ready-made card
How to take part in the campaign:
- Make a card or use a ready-made card.
- Write your greetings or a delightful message on the card in Finnish, Swedish or English. Instead of Christmas greetings, you can for example wish the recipient happy holidays or a happy new year.
- Many elderly people have poor eyesight, so make sure to write your greetings in clear handwriting and in a colour that stands out from the card’s background.
- Write “For you” as the recipient and your name and “Siskot ja Simot” as the sender (for example: “Merry Christmas! Best wishes, Siskot ja Simot and me”).
- Take or send your card to one of Espoo’s Service Points (link to contact information above). Please do not put your card into an envelope unless you are going to send it by post.
- Make sure that we receive your card by Tuesday, 7 December 2021.
Paula Häkämies, Communications Specialist, City of Espoo Elderly Services, tel. 046 877 2119, email@example.com
- Service centres
- Support for everyday life