Espoo’s climate goals

It is Espoo’s goal to become carbon neutral by 2030. Carbon neutrality means that the city annually produces only the amount of greenhouse gas emissions it is able to absorb. The Climate Watch service allows you to follow how the city is progressing in implementing its climate action.

Espoo has defined as its carbon neutrality goal an 80% emission reduction from the 1990 level by the year 2030. The remaining 20% share can be absorbed in carbon sinks or compensated by other means. Carbon sink is a term used to refer to growing carbon stocks, such as growing forests. Compensation refers to emission reduction units procured from outside the city organisation’s own activities to compensate for the remaining greenhouse gas emissions.

Programmes and strategies that support the city’s climate work

Studies that support climate work

Find out

The Climate action exhibition presents actions that enable a carbon-neutral life in Espoo.

Espoo's Climate Watch(external link) ‒ the city's climate actions, their progress and impact at one place.