Young Espoo resident, would you like your voice to be heard when the future of your city is in question? Apply to the Future Mentors programme!
Espoo is participating in the Future Mentors programme, where young people from various European cities get to engage in dialogue with the decision-makers of their cities. It is a case of reverse mentoring: a small group of young people from each city communicates to decision-makers their own and their generation’s hopes, dreams and fears related to the future of their city.
By applying to the programme,
- you can be a part of building a sustainable future together with decision-makers, and also
- network with young mentors from across Europe on a virtual platform.
The mentoring will take place during spring 2022. A city-specific coordinator will be there to support you throughout the process.
In June, one young mentor from each city will get to travel to Espoo for the Eurocities Annual Conference.
Young people must be heard in decision-making and for this purpose, they must be given official channels to raise their voices.
City decision-making directly affects young people and their future both in the short- and long-term. Cities want young people to know that they are an integral part of their city’s future. This kind of dialogue can open up new perspectives for all parties involved.
The year 2022 is the official European Year of Youth(extrernal link).
Where and when?
- Virtual Europe-wide kick-off webinar for young mentors on 29 March 2022 at 18:00 (EET).
- Three planning meetings with your city coordinator in your own city.
- Mentors will also collect views of other children and young people in their own city on the selected themes.
- Virtual platform for networking and exchanging ideas.
- Two mentoring meetings with a decision-maker in April–May in your city.
- One mentor from each city will get to travel to the Eurocities Annual Conference in Espoo 8–10 June. The young mentors will decide which one of them gets to travel to Espoo as part of their city’s delegation.
- In Espoo, the young mentors will participate in the Eurocities conference, and interesting visits and evening programme will also be organised for them.
What will be discussed during mentoring?
The mentors themselves will come up with more specific topics. They can, for example, think about their own dreams: What would my city of dreams look like in the near future? How about after a longer period of time? What would have to change in order for this dream to become reality? What kind of things do we have to stand by in order to ensure that our future does not look bleak? How could we ensure that the voice of young people is better heard in decision-making?
Who can apply?
Each city will appoint 3–4 young people for the role of Future Mentors.
- Young people between the ages of 18 and 25 who are interested in the sustainable future of their city and making a difference.
- The mentors will bring to the table their experience of being young.
- They may not be city councillors or members of parliament. Youth Council members may apply.
- The mentors need to be able to communicate in English.
- They commit to having meetings during the spring within their mentoring group, the group coordinator and the decision-maker they are mentoring. They also commit to communicating with mentors from other cities on the virtual platform.
How can I apply?
Fill in the application form by 20 March.
Mentors will be selected based on their motivation letters and all applicants will be notified of the selection by 22 March.
#Eurocities2022 #FutureMentors2022 #EuropeanYearOfYouth
Youth work coordinator
City of Espoo Youth Services
- Growth and Learning
- Youth Services