We develop, test and implement future sustainable urban solutions together with partners and residents. The goal is a safe, healthy and functional everyday life in a carbon-neutral city.
City of Espoo’s development operations are focused on four programmes, one of which is the Sustainable Espoo. This programme work will support the development and implementation of economically, ecologically, socially and culturally sustainable solutions. The climate programme will be updated to match the climate goal of the Espoo story.
Development work, trials and cooperation related to the Sustainable Espoo programme are primarily carried out in projects enabled by external funding. The projects help find solutions for making the daily life of Espoo residents easier by enabling, for example, low-carbon mobility, clean energy, circular economy and tackling future challenges of a smart city. The goal is to find local solutions for solving global challenges.
Target benefits of the Sustainable Espoo development programme for the years 2017 - 2021 were as follows:
- We will build and develop Espoo using smart solutions
- The transport of Espoo residents will become more streamlined and diversified
- Emission-free energy production and smart energy solutions
- Espoo residents will act responsibly
- The nature benefits and recreational opportunities of the local environment will increase