The history of the museum

Nowadays the building has been rented to Esbo Hembygdsförening rf for use as a centre for local history.

The Lagstads folkskola was the first elementary school building in Espoo. Lagstads folkskola opened in 1873 and the building was used until the end of the year 1954 when the new school house had been finished.  The old school then housed the offices of various Espoo administrative departments. Nowadays the building has been rented to Esbo hembygdsförening (a society for local history) who use it as headquarters, hembygdsgård. The building has been restored to what it used to look like when it was an elementary school.

Lagstad's outbuilding is where the teacher used to live. Equipment was also stored there. The rooms were used for different things at different times. Equipment that was not in use was put in storage, and in the 1930s the same room was used for both technical crafts and as a gymnasium. The workbenches were moved to the hall when it was time for physical education class.

Espoon keskus