Multilingual ‘‘familiarize with further studies’’ information evenings invite students and guardians with an immigrant background to learn about secondary education opportunities in Espoo in their native language
Four regional information evenings concerning post-middle school studies are held in November. Familiarize with further studies -information evenings are for guardians and students with immigrant backgrounds.
Four regional information evenings concerning post-middle school studies will be held in Espoo
Interpretation services are provided for all information evenings in the following languages: Arabic, Somali, Dari, Farsi, Kurdish (Sorani), Russian, Chinese and English.
The program is the same for all parents’ evening. Please select a suitable place and time.
Location and time:
• Espoonlahti area: Maining School, Maininkitie 23, Wednesday 16 November, 17:30-19:30 (gate A entrance)
• Leppävaara area: Ruusutorpa School, Leppävaarankatu 24, Thursday 24 November, 17:30-19:30 Auditorium (G1 entrance)
• Matinkylä-Olari and Tapiola areas: Kuitinmäki School, Kuitinkuja 4, Monday 14 November, 17:30-19:30 (gate A entrance)
• Central and Northern Espoo: Kauklahti School, Hansakallio 2, Monday 21 November, 17:30-19:30
1. Finnish education system and upper secondary education application
- general upper secondary education
- Vocational education
- Preparatory Education for an upper secondary qualification (TUVA) and Basic Education for Adult (AIPE)
Study options after comprehensive school
In Espoo, the options after basic education include vocational schools, general upper secondary schools and preparatory education for programmes leading to an upper secondary qualification (TUVA).
- After comprehensive school
- Information about joint application system
- General upper secondary education in Espoo
- Vocational education at Omnia(external link)
- Preparatory education for programmes leading to an upper secondary qualification (TUVA)
- Live Vocational College (vocational special education institution)(external link)
- On the studyinfo.fi website(external link), you can find all study options available through the joint application system as well as most options that have separate application processes.
- From basic education to upper secondary studies(external link), Moniheli
Cultural instructors at Espoo’s general upper secondary schools in the school year 2022–2023
Cultural instructors work to ensure that all general upper secondary students have equal opportunities to succeed in their studies and in life. The cultural instructor supports students’ and their guardians’ integration and participation in Finnish society. Cultural instructors support students, their guardians and school staff in the school’s everyday life, and they communicate with the young people and their families in their mother tongue.
Cultural instructors can facilitate multicultural and multilingual cooperation for example in the following situations:
- A cultural instructor serves as a support person and interpreter in meetings involving students with an immigrant background, their guardians, and school staff.
- On request, a cultural instructor may support a student during individual lessons or when a student has many absences and the continuation of their studies in general upper secondary school is being assessed.
- A cultural instructor may also be asked to increase teachers’ cultural knowledge and understanding of a student’s situation.
- Students can discuss matters related to their studies in their mother tongue.
Cultural instructors offer individual guidance and support for students and their guardians and support cooperation between home and school in Finnish, Russian, Arabic, Somali, Chinese, English and French.
- Basic Education
- General Upper Secondary Education