Academic year 2021-2022
Academic year 2021-2022:
Autumn term: Wednesday 11.8.2021 - Wednesday 22.12.2021
IB-graduation: Friday 27.8
Old Dances Year 19s: Friday 15.10
Autumn break w42: Monday 18.10.2021 - Friday 22.10.2021
Independence day festivities: 3.12
Christmas holiday: Thursday 23.12.2021 - Sunday9.1.2022
Spring term: Monday 10.1.2022 - Saturday 4.6.2022
Old Dances: 11.2
Winter holiday w8: Monday 21.2.2022 - Friday 25.2.2022
Easter holiday: 15-18.4
Schoolday: Saturday 21.5, Staffettkarneval
Ascensionday break: 26-27.5
Spring festivities, last day of school: 3.6
School update May and June 2022
After a quite different week due to the strike, we have now returned to normal school activities. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the parents' association and active guardians for helping with the arrangements for the old dances. A collaboration that we are happy to continue with in the future Thanks to the parents, the first graders could be invited to Opinmäki to see the rehearsals. A big thank you to the teachers and guardians who contributed to a successful old dance day for the second graders!
Another big project which wrapped up this spring is the Erasmus+ “A European Midsummer Night’s Dream.” The project didn’t go ahead as planned, but a dedicated group of students and staff put together a production during flex week. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!
Some MG students also participated in the national MEP (Model European Parliament) at the beginning of May. We haven’t been able to arrange this since 2019, so it was great to have so much interest, and hopefully we will be able to send some of these delegates to regional and international sessions next academic year.
The IB final exams have been going on, despite the strike, and will continue until 20.5. Results are published at the beginning of July.
There is very little left of the spring term, but much is going on in addition to regular teaching, before the summer holidays begin.
On 12.5, the principal and deputy principal have coffee with representatives of all first year form groups. This is a good opportunity for us to hear how the school year has been from the first year's students’ perspective.
Saturday 21.5 is a school day, as the entire school participates in the Stafettkarnevalen sports event at the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki. Many students will participate in the running competitions, as we cheer them on. More info about the Stafettkarnevalen day on GHT 17.5. Because this Saturday is a school day, we will not have lessons on Friday 27.5, the day after Ascension Day.
The last project week for this year begins on 24.5 and runs until 1.6. The grades for period V will be published on 3.6.
On Thursday 2.6, the school, together with the student council, arranges an activity day (10-14). The program is arranged inside and outside the school, with various activities, including kokkisota, football tournament, the play A Midsummer Night's Dream is performed by our students, etc. The day ends with a talent show.
Friday 3.6 (11.45-14), spring festivities are arranged for preDP and DP1 students, with a gathering in the form group, lunch, and festivity program in the big gym.
We wish all students and staff good luck with the final weeks of the spring term and a nice summer vacation! The autumn term begins on Thursday 11.8.
Susanne Björkstén and Anna Martikainen
Time is flying and the last months of the term will begin. Here is some information about what is going on in the school - i.e. education, culture, well-being and drug prevention work.
- Registration for the IB final exams is underway for students in 19I and 19K. The IB DP coordinator is meeting with students individually to confirm their registration at the beginning of November. Bills for the IB exams will be sent home during this month. Please make sure that your address information is up to date in Wilma.
- The school is involved in an Erasmus+ project with schools in Germany and Spain. The goal is to put together a joint production of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream (in multiple languages). The final production will take place in Germany in May 2022, and before that, there will be mobilities in Spain (January 2022) and Finland (March 2022) - this of course is dependent on the Corona restrictions in place. We are cooperating with Ungateatern and had a kickoff there on 12.10.2021. This week (2.11 and 4.11), there is a virtual mobility where students from all three schools can start working together on the project.
- The student council EK held an LGBTIQ+ lecture and Queer Club for our students before the autumn holidays.
- The City of Espoo's Youth Council elections will be held on 9.11.
- On 10.11. DP1 see the play The Loving Memory of Hans Rosling by theater Viirus, the stage language is English. The performance is arranged at the school.
- On 12.11. teachers have a training day linked to the new curriculum. On this day, DP1 has a Job shadowing day, when they choose an interesting workplace where they shadow a person in working life during their working day. The students have received information about this from the study supervisors. The same day, PreDP and DP2 have a day of voluntary work. The income from the volunteer-day goes this year to Amnesty.
- The current period ends with a project week on 24-30.11. The new period (period III) will then begin on 1.12.
- On Friday 3.12, we will hold an Independence Day celebration and student graduation for the autumn students at 13.00 in the big gym.
- In December, preDP and DP1 will be visited by an experienced expert from the association Kran rf., and will listen to a former Drug addict talk about the struggle to get rid of drugs from his life.
- In December, a theme day (two lesson sessions) is also arranged for DP1 with the theme well-being. The corresponding theme day is arranged for preDP during the spring term. For the DP2 students, we have arranged a lecture by the mental trainer Christoph Treier, who coaches students before their finals exams.
- On 22.12, the school day ends at 1 p.m. and during that day, in addition to lessons, there is a special Christmas program. After that, the Christmas holidays begin, which last until 9.1.
- On the bulletin board in wilma you can read the announcement Espoo lifts the face mask recommendation in early childhood education, schools and youth work as of 25 October.
We wish you all a good continuation in the autumn!
Susanne Björkstén and Anna Martikainen