We offer services to children and young people under 18 years of age and to their families. The majority of occupational therapy clients are children under school age. The development of a child is monitored at home, at the child health clinic and in day care. A child is directed to occupational therapy if challenges are observed, for example, in the development of manual skills, body control, visual perception or sensory radiation. There are individual differences in development, and it is important for a child to practice, for example, movement and manual skills in normal home situations. If you have any concerns about your child's development, discuss the matter at the child health clinic or the child's day-care location/school, where a referral can be made to occupational therapy. The participation and presence of guardians is important in children's occupational therapy. The occupational therapist evaluates the child's skills and operational abilities in relation to the challenges in the everyday environment. The assessment is made by interviewing guardians and monitoring the child's activities in play and in various tasks. The occupational therapist and the parents work together to find the best ways to develop the child's skills in everyday life. During visits, guardians are given guidance in home exercises to be carried out through play, games and tasks. The objectives and content of the visits and home training are planned together with the guardians. With the consent of the guardians, occupational therapists cooperate for example with the child's day-care location/school, speech therapist or psychologist. The goal is to find tools to support the child's development in his or her daily life at home and at day care/school. The guidance can be given as individual or group sessions. If necessary, the occupational therapist may recommend further examinations, such as an evaluation by a psychologist, speech therapist, physiotherapist, or child neurologist. Cancelling an appointment You can cancel an appointment by notifying your personal worker or office secretary as soon as possible, tel. 043 825 3181 or 043 825 6878.