Birth control and free contraception
The Family Planning Clinics at Espoo’s health centres provide professional advice on currently available contraceptive methods. You may also ask any questions you have about abortion. We also perform IUD (intrauterine device) and contraceptive implant fittings, check-ups and removals.
The City of Espoo provides now free contraception as follows
Contraception is free of charge for those under the age of 20.
If you are under 25 years of age, you can get free of charge
- 20–24-year-olds receive combined oral contraceptive pills, progestogen-only pills (so-called mini pills) or a contraceptive vaginal ring free of charge for the first year of use.
- Long-acting contraceptives, such as contraceptive implants and IUDs (intrauterine devices), are free of charge until you turn 25.
- At a postpartum check-up or after an abortion, you will receive free-of-charge combined oral contraceptive pills, mini pills or a contraceptive vaginal ring for 12 months or alternatively a copper IUD, a hormonal IUD or a contraceptive implant.
- You can get free condoms from your school nurse and at the health centre in connection with an appointment.
If you are 25 years of age or older, you can get free of charge
- combined oral contraceptive pills or progestogen-only pills (the ‘mini pill’), or a contraceptive vaginal ring for 3 months if you have not used hormonal contraception before
- copper IUD, if you have not used IUD before.
- You can get free contraception from your school/student nurse or at the Family Planning Clinic at health centres.
To the Family Planning Clinic you can book an appointment online on espoo.terveytesi.fi or on the health centres’ customer service number 09 816 34500, Mon–Fri at 7–18 (Oma Lääkärisi Matinkylä, tel. 09 855 4100).
The telephone service of Espoo’s health centres09 816 34500We use call-back service
Iso Omena, Kilo, Kivenlahti, Espoonlahti, Leppävaara, Samaria, Kalajärvi and Tapiola health centres 09 816 34500 Mon–Fri at 7–16. Appointment booking by text message for the deaf and hard of hearing 040 639 3945.
Piispanportti Health Centre 09 816 220 10 Mon-Fri 7-16. Appointment booking by text message for the deaf and hard of hearing 040 570 2889.