First steps in Espoo
Moi - Hello! Welcome to your new home! We have collected useful information and links to help you settle smoothly into Espoo.
If you’re new in town, you probably have a lot of questions. We have a chat service where you can discuss issues in real time. We also provide advice on all everyday issues at our Information Point for Immigrants in Finnish, Swedish and English and in your own language through a telephone interpreter.
Social security in Finland
In Finland, the social security system aims to safeguard economic security in all life situations. The services are provided by the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, Kela.
Registering at the tax office
If you plan to receive any income, you need to register and apply for a tax card (verokortti) directly at the Finnish Tax Administration,(extrernal link) Verohallinto.
Opening a bank account
You need a bank account in order to handle your finances.
Getting mobile phone and internet subscriptions
When you buy a mobile phone subscription in Finland, you get a Finnish phone number.
How to get around in Espoo
There are many ways to get around in Espoo. The metro, trains and buses connect different areas in Espoo and provide easy access to Helsinki, Vantaa and Kauniainen.
Health services in Espoo
You are entitled to use public health services in Finland if you have a municipality of residence (kotikunta) in Finland.
Education in Espoo
The Finnish education system consists of early childhood education and care, preschool, comprehensive school, upper secondary education, vocational education and training and higher education. InfoFinland provides more information about the Finnish education system(extrernal link).
Finnish language courses
Finland is a bilingual country(extrernal link) (Finnish-Swedish). Finns have very good English skills, nevertheless, you will be faster to join network or feel more comfortable by learning Finnish.
Making friends in Espoo
Making friends is an important part of feeling at home. Networking is an essential skill when you are seeking employment.
Getting a library card
At libraries you can borrow books, read magazines and newspapers, use a computer, study or participate in various events.
Joining culture and outdoor activities
We offer lots of culture and outdoor activities.
We have gathered useful information in case of an emergency.
Participating in decision-making in Espoo
Our citizens have many ways to influence decision-making matters.
Registering as a resident:
- In Finland, a personal identity code is used to identify persons. You need a personal identity code to be able to live and operate in Finnish society. In order to receive your code, please register your personal data and municipality of residence at the Population Information System.(extrernal link)
Social benefits and taxation:
- Kela - the Social Insurance Institution of Finland is a Finnish government agency(extrernal link) that handles the payment of benefits under national social security schemes.
- The Finnish Tax Administration(extrernal link) will give you a tax card if you receive any income in Finland.
Commuting and transportation:
- Helsinki Region Transport (HSL) is the go-to source for information(extrernal link) related to public transport in the capital region.
Immigration services and service points:
- Our Service points provide advice and guidance on various services. Visit them in person or contact them via chat.
- International House Helsinki(extrernal link) provides a wide range of information and public authority services for international newcomers in the metropolitan area (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen).
- Living in Espoo includes information about life(extrernal link) in Espoo in 12 languages.
International growth and employment:
- Talent Espoo is your gateway to information, services and networks related to international recruitment both in Finland and abroad.
- DayTripster is a travel application(extrernal link) that includes Espoo’s top attractions to your phone screen regardless of time and place – free install at the App Store(extrernal link) or Google Play(extrernal link)
- Visit Espoo(extrernal link) – get a glimpse into Espoo.