The exceptional circumstances of recent times still continue. According to the Government’s decision, persons over 70 years of age should avoid being in close contact with people outside their home. Taking care of everyday matters may cause concern or be difficult. However, the elderly in Espoo will not be left alone, as the parishes of Espoo, the City of Espoo and the organisations in Espoo are offering them support and assistance.
As the exceptional situation persists, loneliness and other problems may increase. The situation is particularly difficult for those who do not have family members or other support networks nearby.
During the coronavirus pandemic, diaconal workers from various parishes have been in touch with the elderly living in their area. “Some people are used to being alone and have no difficulty self-isolating. But there are others who suffer and are very anxious about the situation,” says Minna Martiskainen, Diaconal Worker who works with seniors in the Olari parish. Diaconal workers know that many people do not want to “be a burden”. Minna Martiskainen hopes that everyone who needs help would call them. Many practical problems can be solved. Simply talking to someone often helps. Parishes, the city and organisations all offer helplines for those who worry.
“It may feel difficult to ask for help but it is a brave thing to do.” No one needs to make it on their own. We at Nestori – Guidance and Service Counselling for Senior Citizens are making sure that the elderly in Espoo are getting the help and services they need,” says Sirpa Immonen who is in charge of service counselling at Nestori.
Help and support for everyday errands
The City of Espoo’s Nestori – Guidance and Service Counselling for Senior Citizens will help you find ways to cope with everyday situations. Nestori will also help you get groceries and medicines if your own support network is unable to help you. The City of Espoo also provides temporary food assistance through Nestori. If you have questions about other services for the elderly such as housing, memory or financial support, please call Nestori. Nestori – Guidance and Service Counselling for Senior Citizens
, tel. 09 816 33 333, Mon–Fri 8:00–16:00.
• The diaconal workers of the Espoo parishes offer help and advice if you have a difficult financial situation or need help with other practical issues. Diaconal Work is meant for all Espoo residents. Diaconal workers, tel. 09 80 501, Mon–Fri 9:00–15:00.
If you need someone to talk to
• The pastors and diaconal workers of the Espoo parishes offer mental and spiritual support.
• Pastor on call, tel. 09 8050 2602, Mon–Fri 9:00–15:00
• Diaconal workers, tel. 09 80 501, Mon–Fri 9:00–15:00.
• If you cannot communicate with speech, please send us a text message to ask us to contact you, tel. 040 531 1002.
• Espoo parishes, more information: www.espoonseurakunnat.fi/support
• The helpline of Espoo’s Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, tel. 09 816 31300 (Mon–Fri 8:00–16:00). Do not hesitate to call us if you are worried or anxious about the coronavirus.
• EJY ry’s trained volunteers are available if you need someone to talk to.
Tel. 050 567 4891, Mon–Fri 9:00–11:00
Information about other support services for persons over 70 years of age has been sent to all homes in Espoo as a public bulletin.