The City of Espoo carried out a “Peput penkkiin” (“Fit your butt on the seat”) car sharing experiment from September 2018 to January 2019. The purpose was to test a solution that would help to put the Espoo residents’ cars to more efficient use as a step towards achieving the goal of becoming an emission-free city by 2030.
Open to everybody, the experiment period lasted from 26 September 2018 to 10 January 2019. The experiment was conducted as part of Espoo’s digital agenda.
Participants had the opportunity to
- offer car sharing rides in cars they drive themselves
- request car sharing rides for themselves.
The car sharing experiment was targeted at the Espoon keskus, Otaniemi, Keilaniemi, Tapiola and Western Espoo areas. Rides under the experiment did, however, take place on other routes within Espoo and the metropolitan area as well.
Summary of the experiment and results (pdf, 625 Kt)
Questions and answers in Finnish (supporting the participants during the experiment)
- Johanna Nyberg, Head of Traffic Management and ITS, email@example.com, tel. +358 40 526 8331
- Valia Wistuba, Development Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 43 825 2905
- Marke Kaukonen, Project Manager, email@example.com, tel. +358 50 553 2495