Term-time illness

If your child becomes unwell before school, you should not send them in. If they need to see a doctor, you should make an appointment at your own local health centre. You should also seek help at your local health centre for any accidents that occur outside of school hours.

Illness during school hours

If a child falls ill during the school day, their teacher or teaching assistant will contact their parent or guardian and ask them to collect the child, if necessary. With their parent or guardian’s permission, lower secondary school pupils can make their own way home without having to see the school nurse.

Teachers can also refer pupils to see the school nurse, who will contact the parent or guardian if necessary. When children become unwell at school, parents are responsible for taking them home, including the cost.

Information and guidance on the management of chronic and underlying conditions

It is advisable to notify the school nurse if your child has a chronic underlying medical condition or if they are on medication. After your child starts school, your child’s condition will continue to be managed by their regular health care team. However, if your child becomes acutely unwell, for example if they are diabetic and develop hypoglycaemia, they can be seen by the school nurse.

All pupils must carry their own medication and they are expected to administer it themselves, aided by a teaching assistant. The school cannot accept responsibility for storing medication.

Physical education

If a pupil is unable to participate in PE lessons or only able to take part in certain activities due to a medical condition or disability, their parent or guardian should notify the PE teacher. The school nurse can issue an exemption certificate in acute situations only.