Mental health and substance abuse services
The City of Espoo’s mental health and substance abuse services offer help to residents suffering from mental health or substance abuse problems.
- If the coronavirus is making you feel worried or anxious, you can call our telephone service at 09 816 31300 (Mon–Fri 8:00–16:00)
- Group meetings at Kalaonnentie 8 have been cancelled for the time being.
Are you worried about your or a loved one's mental health or substance use?
You only have to feel that you need help; you do not need a referral. The service is free of charge. You can take a loved one with you when you visit us. Do not hesitate to contact us:
- The mental health and substance abuse clinic at the Iso Omena Service Centre helps adults and young people (aged 13–22). You do not need to book an appointment. Opening hours: Mon–Thu 8:00–18:00 and Fri 8:00–16:00. During your visit, we will assess your need for treatment and offer you guidance and counselling. We will start planning your treatment and refer you to the right services if necessary. You can find us on the 3rd floor of the Iso Omena shopping centre in Matinkylä, at Suomenlahdentie 1. Our offices are at the Service Centre next to the health centre.
- The centralised telephone service of mental health and substance abuse services is open Mon–Fri 8:00–16:00, tel. 09 816 31300. You can call us for guidance and counselling or to book an appointment.
- Over 18-year-olds can book an appointment online.
- There are also many other organisations that offer help, for example:
- MIELI Mental Health Finland’s national crisis hotline provides telephone support, tel. 09 2525 0111. Open around the clock.
- The national substance abuse helpline of EHYT Finnish Association for Substance Abuse Prevention offers telephone support, tel. 0800 90045. Open around the clock.
- The Peluuri helpline offers advice and guidance for people with gambling problems. Mon–Fri 12:00–18:00, tel. 0800 100 101. Peluuri’s chat is open Mon, Wed and Fri 12:00–15:00.
- Other online services include:
- MentalHub: information, tests and self-care instructions for young people and adults. Information on mental health for parents and professionals.
- Addiction link: The online service offers support and information related to substance abuse and addictions. In addition to a comprehensive info bank, the site offers tests, self-help content, peer support and a counselling service.
If you or someone close to you has a sudden serious mental health issue
If you have delusional or psychotic symptoms or suicidal thoughts, please get help quickly:
Please note! In serious life-threatening situations, always call the national emergency number 112.
If you are faced with a sudden crisis
If you are faced with a sudden crisis and need immediate support, please contact Social and Crisis Emergency Services, tel. 09 816 42439. A sudden crisis can be, for example, an accident involving a family member or the death of a loved one. Social and Crisis Emergency Services provides support every day around the clock. You can contact the service as a family member, relative or friend.
Use the drop-down menu below to read more about our services.
Advice and appointment booking
Appointment booking online
- Appointment booking by telephone on weekdays 8 am–4 pm tel. 09 816 31300. You can use the same number to book appointments for the adults' services as well for the Nupoli Youth Clinic(for young people aged 13–22).
- If you cancel an appointment, you must do it before 2 pm on the previous weekday. Cancellations can be made online or by phone.
Mental health services online aroud the clock
Some of these online services and websites are only available in Finnish.
MentalHub flr adults: Information, tests and self-care instructions.
Online therapies: For getting online therapy, you need a referral from a doctor. Contact your health centre.
AddictionLink: Information about substance abuse and addiction.
Peluuri: Help with problems and crises caused by gambling.
For young people
MentalHub for young people: Information, tests and a self-care programme.
Sekasin-chat: Talk about anything on your mind anonymously and confidentially (service provided by the Finnish Association for Mental Health).
For children and families
Morning group weekdays 9–10:30 am, Service centre Emppu, Kalaonnentie 8, 2nd floor
The morning group will not have meetings until further notice!
As of 7 September, the morning group meets on Mondays and Thursdays from 9:00 to 10:30.
The group has a maximum limit of 10 participants.
The group is intended for adult Espoo residents who wish to discuss their use of substances. Participation in the group is recommended for example for the clients of the mental health and substance abuse clinic and persons who have gone through detoxification or institutional rehabilitation. However, you can participate even if you are not a client of our other services. The morning group is led by 1–2 employees of the mental health and substance abuse clinic together with an expert by experience. Peer support is also an integral part of the group. The most important rule in the group is that the participants may not be under the influence of intoxicants. Participation in the group is free of charge. The group speaks Finnish.
Well-being group Wednesday 16-17:30, Kalaonnentie 8, 2nd floor
The well-being group will not have meetings until further notice!
The group is intended for adult Espoo residents who are concerned about their mental health and ability to cope. The aim of the well-being group is to help the participants enhance and maintain their mental well-being. The group will discuss various themes around mental well-being, such as sleep, emotional self-regulation and depression. To participate in the group, talk to the employee you have previously been in contact with. Alternatively, you can call the customer service and counselling number of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, tel. 09 816 31300. Participation is free of charge. The participants may not be under the influence of intoxicants. The group speaks Finnish.
Sobering-up and detoxification
Kalaonnentie 8, 02230 Matinkylä Espoo.
Open every day around the clock
For advice, call 046 877 3678
The sobering-up station provides urgent on-call treatment for intoxication. The services are free-of-charge to clients.
- The services are intended for people who need medical monitoring due to physical or mental symptoms occurring during intoxication but are not in need of hospital treatment.
- Advice concerning substance abuse treatment
Appointment booking and assessment of need for care, tel. 046 877 3708 weekdays 8:30–11:30 am
Service centre Emppu, Kalaonnentie 8 (Matinkylä)
Contact us, if you cannot stop using substances. We will evaluate your situation together and look for the most suitable alternative for you.
- In outpatient detoxification you live at home and make daily visits to the clinic. If necessary, we can bring services to your home. Outpatient detoxification is free-of-charge.
- In round-the-clock treatment, you stay in the treatment facility for a certain period of time. The client fee depends on your income.
Opioid replacement therapy
The purpose of replacement therapy for opioid addicts is quitting drug use and achieving rehabilitation or improving the quality of life by reducing the adverse effects of drugs. The treatment is a long-term process that mainly consists of outpatient treatment. If you wish to get opioid replacement therapy, you need a referral from a doctor.
- Ask for a referral at your health centre.
- With the referral, you get to the HUS Addiction Psychiatry Clinic, where your situation is assessed and you ge the treatment that meets your needs.
Linkki health advice and support centre
The City of Espoo´s Linkki services are intended for persons who use drugs intravenously. At Linkki, you can meet social and helth care professionals anonymously without booking an appointment.
Linkki is open:
- Mon 10:00-15:00
- Tue 10:00-15:00
- Wed 10:00-17:00
- Thu 10:00-15:00
- Fri 10:00-15:00
Tel. 09-816 27360 or 040-551 9725, Kannusillankatu 8, Espoon keskus
Linkki offers clean injection equipment and information about drug-related health issues, ways to improve your health, infections diseases and social services. You can also get tested for infectious diseases such as hepatitis C, HIV and sexually transmitted diseases. You can get vaccinated against hepatitis A and B, influenza or tetanus and get small wounds treated. A doctor is also available to see clients every week. The doctor is available on Wednesdays from 15:00 to 16:00.
We provide a variety of housing services for the clients of mental health and substance abuse services, including supported, sheltered and intensified sheltered housing. The city owns some apartments, while some services have been outsourced. We will find a solution that best suits your situation. If you need more information about our housing services, please send us an email to email@example.com.
Contact information of the city’s own housing units:
- Auroranportti supported housing unit, address Aurorankuja 2, tel. 046 8773 862
- Sepänkylä supported housing unit, address Palomiehentie 1, tel. 050 5004 952
- Neppers supported housing unit, address Vanhankartanontie 29, tel. 050 5727 709
- Olarinluoma supported housing unit, address Luomanportti 11, tel. 050 5541 702
- Olarinluoma sheltered housing unit, address Luomanportti 11, tel. 043 8247 209
Temporary accommodation at Olarinluoma reception home for homeless Espoo residents who have substance abuse problems
You can come to the reception home at any time of the day without booking an appointment and without a referral. Staff are present around the clock. The Olarinluoma reception home offers temporary accommodation and related basic services. We will also help you find permanent accommodation or a treatment facility.
Address Luomanportti 9, P.O. Box 20205, 02070 City of Espoo, tel. 050 0515 978