Climate goals aim for carbon neutrality
Carbon neutrality by 2030 is one of the key objectives laid down in the Espoo Story, or city strategy, for the 2017-2021 council term. During the previous term, the City prepared a climate programme, which defines the guidelines for battling climate change until 2020.
In the climate programme, Espoo has committed to:
- Improve its public transportation and increase low-emission mobility
- Make Espoo a well-functioning cycling city
- Expedite repair, additional and complementary construction
- Promote the commissioning of renewable energy sources
- Promote a low-emission lifestyle through land use planning
- Reduce the climate impact of the city’s own operations
The programme also includes a short-term action plan to quickly reduce emissions by 2020.
In addition to its own climate programme, Espoo is also committed to the Helsinki Metropolitan Area Climate Strategy and related objectives. Moreover, the city intends to continue the Ministry of Labour and the Economy’s Finnish Municipalities' Energy Efficiency Agreement and Energy Programme (KETS) and, within the scope of Espoon Asunnot’s rental properties, the Property and Building Sector Energy Efficiency Agreement for rental properties until 2025.