Family Coaching in Espoo
Congratulations, you are expecting a child in your family! The immenseness of the life change may feel frightening at first, but during pregnancy you have time to prepare for what lies ahead. Sharing your thoughts and feelings on pregnancy with your partner and other close ones will help you grow into the role of a parent. There are countless sources where you can gather information on pregnancy, labour, baby care and parenthood. Apart from follow ups during pregnancy, one of the fundamental responsibilities of the maternity clinic is to help the family prepare for parenthood. At the maternity clinic you can talk openly about your emotions and ask any questions you have on your mind. The purpose of this family coaching material is to help you prepare for the future.
The first half of pregnancy is already behind you. The confusing emotions and possible nausea of the early stages of pregnancy are fading away. The changes in the body of the pregnant mother makes pregnancy more real. The body is already quite uncomfortable and large, and you might suffer from pain and various ailments. The latter part of pregnancy is the time to start preparing for labour and meeting your child. The last weeks of pregnancy tend to pass slowly, as your thoughts are already in life with the baby. Pregnancy culminates in the birth of the child. The upcoming labour might bring about many kinds of feelings; curiosity, nervousness and even fear. This is all normal. For a woman bearing a child for the first time labour is a new experience.
Families expecting their first child are offered family coaching by several professionals. The aim of family coaching is to support growth into parenthood, strengthen interaction between the parents and the baby as well as the relationship between the parents, enable families in the same situation to support each other and provide information about well-being during pregnancy, as well as about labour and baby care.
The family coaching consists of group meetings before and after labour. The coaches are various professionals in the city and its partners.
You can get information on timetables, meeting places and registration from your maternity clinic.
- Physiotherapy group session for mothers in early stages of pregnancy. Please register in advance.
- Health counselling with a dental hygienist for expecting families. Please register in advance.
- Group meeting at the maternity clinic. Themes: Labour and pain relief, care for the new born child and breastfeeding, as well as other themes which arise in the group. Make a reservation with the public health nurse.
- From couple to family (Parista perheeksi). In several areas, the events are led by family workers from the Parishes of Espoo. The event is secular. No registration needed.
- Family coaching night for fathers led by paternity coaches. Pilot project 2017. Your public health nurse can give you additional information.
Virtual visit to the hospital / Helsinki and Uusimaa Hospital District
- Physiotherapy group session for mothers and babies after the postpartum checkup. Please register in advance.
- Activities for families with babies in open day care centres
The family coaching sessions continue post-partum as activities for families with babies at open day care centres and residents’ parks (playgrounds). All families with babies are welcome! You can find a link to family coaching on the page of each unit. Click the link for more precise timetables of meetings for families with babies.
Open playgrounds with staff
Open Day Care Centres
Family coaching on early interaction and the development of the baby