Education and upbringing in school are based on the curriculum. It tells how teaching is arranged, what is studied and how. It defines the goals and contents of subjects, provides foundation for assessment and describes different ways of working.
The curriculum has three levels:
1. The National Core Curriculum decreed by the National Board of Education (in Finnish)
2. The municipal curriculum of Espoo (in Finnish)
3. The school-specific curriculum (found on each school's website).
The school-specific curricula are based on the national core curriculum and the municipality-specific curriculum. The curricula were recently renewed. The new curriculum 2016 will take effect
- in grades 1–6 in August 2016
- in grades 7–9 one step at the time in years 2017–2019
Assessment of learning
Subjects and distribution of lesson hours
Espoo municipal curriculum 2013 (in Finnish)