Every pupil in basic education has the right to attend a local school allocated by the municipality. In addition, one has the right to apply to other school than the local school allocated by the municipality. In Espoo, these schools are called secondary schools, and the pupil applying to a secondary school is called a secondary applicant.
Fill in the form 'Toissijaiseen kouluun hakeminen' and submit it to the school Your child is applying. If Your child is admitted to a secondary school, she/he is not entitled to school transport subsidy. Her/his younger sister or brother does not have a sibling basis to be admited in the same school.
Application dates (school year 2020-2021)
- April 30th, 2020 (grades 7-9)
- May 6th,2020 (grades 1-6)
- May 29th, 2020 (grades 1-9)
- July 31st, 2020 (grades 1-9)
- August 11th, 2020 (grades 1-9)
Application forms admitted during school year are handled in the end of a month.
Principles of pupil admission (admission criteria)
Secondary applicants can be admitted only if there are free study places in the school's teaching groups after all pupils have first been allocated a local school. If there are free study places, pupils are admitted to a secondary school in the following order:
- A pupil who has moved away from the school's close region and still lives in Espoo, but wants to continue in one's present school.
- Short commute (pupils living in Espoo).
- Lottery (pupils living in Espoo).
- A pupil living in another municipality (if there are several applicants, a lot is drawn).
Admission principles as a whole, see Perusopetuksen oppilaaksiottoa koskevat linjaukset(pdf, 104 Kt)