Espoo offers many activities to school children during the autumn holiday, 12–18 October. Exhibitions, physical activity, events, various workshops and versatile outdoor activities.
Existing guidelines will be taken into account in all events and activities. Therefore, only a limited number of people may be allowed to participate in different activities.
Physical activity - Autumn holiday movies - Workshops and events - Activities at youth centres - Online activities and self-guided adventures
Free and fun exercise for all ages! The Hop on Hop off event at the EBK-Honka Arena in the Keski-Espoo sports park (Kylävainiontie 20, 02760 Espoo) offers activities, such as an obstacle course, a bouncy castle and ball games.
- Mon–Wed 10:00–15:00
- Thu 16:00–21:00
- Fri 10:00–15:00
- Tue–Wed 9:00–15:00 Wibit – a fun obstacle course
- Thu 14:00–16:00 Töpinät, teaching pool
- Thu 12:00–13:00 Activity challenge*, large pool
- Thu 13:00–14:00 Mermaid swimming, large pool
- Fri 9:00–15:00 Wibit – a fun obstacle course
- Fri 14:00–16:00 Töpinät, teaching pool
- Fri 12:00–13:00 Activity challenge*, large pool
- Fri 13:00–14:00 Mermaid swimming, large pool
*You can participate in the activity challenge at any time between 12:00 and 13:00. The activity challenge is a fun way to try out diving, synchronised swimming, swimming, various tricks and water polo. The length of the course is 25 metres, and you can go through the course several times. To participate, you must be able to swim at least 25 metres on your front. You also need to be a confident diver. The minimum age limit is 7 years.
Please note that there is a limited number of mermaid tails available. The instructions start at 12:00 and 12:30. With a mermaid tail, you can explore an underwater world where you can dive, roll, do corkscrew spins and blow bubbly kisses. To participate, you must be able to swim at least 50 metres on your front. You also need to be a confident diver. The minimum age limit is 7 years.
Changes to the programme are possible.
7–17-year-olds have free access to the swimming pools of the City of Espoo from Monday to Friday.
Autumn holiday movies
All the screenings have free admission.
Sello Hall, Tuesday, 13 October
Espoo Cultural Centre, Louhi Hall
Children’s Cultural Centre Aurora
Tuesday at 14:00 Vaahteramäen Eemeli
The fair-haired little prankster, Emil of Lönneberga, is always up to something. Based on the books of Astrid Lindgren. Free admission! Seats available on a first come, first served basis. There is room for a maximum of 30 people.
- Wednesday at 14:00 Dumbo live action
Disney and the visionary director Tim Burton have created a live action adventure that expands on the classic story and celebrates diversity, family and the power of dreams. Free admission. Seats available on a first come, first served basis. There is room for a maximum of 30 people.
KannuKino, Thursday, 15 October
Workshops and events
Children’s Cultural Centre Aurora
Space-themed workshops Mon–Wed, 12–14 October, 10:00–13:00 Non-stop arts and crafts workshops. New workshop every day. Monday is an action-packed rocket day, on Tuesday we will build an unexplored planet, and on Wednesday we will make space-themed cotton candy. Join us for a fun-filled space adventure! Free admission.
Space-themed Saturday workshop: Hyper-radar Sat 17 October, 10:00–14:00
Let’s explore the solar systems! Join us as we build a hyper-radar and try to peek into infinity. Free admission.
Glims Farmstead Museum
Guided tour in Finnish, Tue–Fri at 14:00.
Upcoming event: An independent activity tour “The mystery of the lost key”
Activities at youth centres
- Open on Tuesday 13:00–15:30 for younger children and 16:00–20:00 for teenagers
- Autumn holiday movies on Thursday; movies + snacks are free of charge
16:00–18:00 for younger children and 19:00–24:00 for teenagers, please sign up in advance by contacting the staff at the youth centre.
There is room for the first 20 people who sign up!
- Open Mon 14:00–16:00 for primary school pupils and 17:30–22:00 for secondary school pupils
- Tue - Thu 14:00–16:00 for primary school pupils and 17:30–21:00 for secondary school pupils
- Open Fri 14:00–16:30 for primary school pupils and 17:30–22:00 for secondary
- open from Tuesday to Friday
- 14:00–16:30 for pupils in grades 3–6
- 17:00–20:00 for seventh-graders to 17-year-olds
Join us for games, cooking, handicrafts and requested activities!
- Open Monday 12:15–18:00 and Wednesday 12:00–15:00
- Wednesday–Thursday LAN camp for 12–16-year-olds. Further information and registration: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. 046 877 1708. You need a permission slip to attend the LAN camp. You can get a permission slip from the youth centre.
- Tue 10:00–13:00 for primary school pupils and 13:30–17:00 for secondary school pupils
- Wed 10:00–13:00 for primary school pupils and 13:30–17:00 for secondary school pupils
- Sat 16:00–18:00 for sixth-graders and 16:00–22:00 for secondary school pupils
Drives around Espoo and offers fun activities to young people. You can call the staff and ask them to bring the van to your neighbourhood, tel. 043 825 7238.
Online activities and self-guided adventures
Go on an outdoor art adventure
Children’s Cultural Centre Aurora and Seikkailutaidekoulu provide tips for adventure art. On the website, you will find 15 ideas for art-themed games and activities, ranging from nature adventures to fun-filled creative tasks.
Explore a city of culture
The Urban Espoo website offers various activities, such as exciting city routes, a city challenge, a course on the basics of photography and much more!
- On the Hevosenkenkä Theatre’s story channel, you can listen to stories read in Finnish by actor Eero Ahre.
Mobile escape game in Karakallio
Can you solve the mystery? The Gateway (“Portti” in Finnish) is an urban adventure game that will take you to the streets and paths of Karakallio where you will need to solve puzzles and mysteries with the help of clues. You can move from one place to the next at your own pace. To solve the mystery, you need a mobile device, perceptiveness, wit and solid teamwork. You also need to download the free Actionbound app.
Scan the QR code on Karatalo’s outdoor noticeboard and start the adventure.
The game is suitable for people of all ages and you can play it alone or with a group. The recommended group size is 2 to 4 people.
- Also remember that Espoo offers amazing opportunities for outdoor recreation. On the Explore nature in Espoo website, you will find information on Espoo’s nature trails and sites.
You can find more events, exhibitions, workshops, courses and other tips on what to do in the city’s event calendar and the Visit Espoo website.
The organisers have taken into account the special arrangements required due to the coronavirus situation. Participants must also remember the following points:
- Only participate if you are in good health.
- Follow hygiene guidelines.
- Maintain safe distances everywhere
Please also remember that you should not attend activities if you have even the slightest symptoms of a common cold or if you have been in close contact with someone who has been infected or who is in home quarantine.
Changes to the programme are possible.